Saturday, September 22, 2012

Wilkommen Hans!

In March, we adopted our FIona (formerly Fendi), a 1 year old GS mix, from Magnificent Mutts. She has boundless energy and we felt she needed a playmate who could keep up with her, so we decided to get another dog. Seeing as my husband and I both love German Shepherds, we knew that was our number one choice. I saw Elgin, a 1.5 year old GSD. on Mag Mutts' Facebook page as well as the website, so I stopped by the adoption event to meet him. He was such a beautiful, sweet boy that I knew I wanted my husband to meet him too.- but it would mean waiting another week until the next event. Unfortunately, the following weekend, I was going to be out of town visiting a friend, so my husband would have to go alone to meet Elgin, and if things went well, he would have to introduce Elgin to Fiona without my help. Long story short, there was a lot of running back and forth between our house and the pet store, and we were in a time crunch because there was another family who was interested in him.
My husband had to give me updates over the phone; I felt like I was brokering a business deal! Finally, the good news was that Elgin was ours. The dogs had gotten along well, and my brave (or foolish) husband drove all the way home with both dogs in the back seat. Fortunately, they all made it home in one piece! We felt that our new boy needed a good German name, so he was christened "Hans", and we soon realized how smart he is when he learned it in a matter of minutes! He was a very anxious boy the first few days- pacing, panting, and constantly working a tennis ball in his mouth....but he quickly realized he was in a good place, with food, water, toys, and a loving family- no more runnning the streets of Elgin, eating God knows what! (That's where he got his name!) Hans is very protective and ultra-vigilant. He follows me everywhere I go! He is a ball of energy and never tires of roughhousing with his sister Fiona. We joke that he thinks he's her size (He's tried to get on our
laps several times) and she thinks she's his size! He is a good boy and we are happy to have him as part of our family.
Kathy Lonergan

No comments:

Post a Comment