Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bitsy aka Sophia

When we hear the term "service dog", a lot of us immediately picture a Golden Retriever helping his or her owner. There are some people who believe only certain breeds have what it takes to be a service dog. It might surprise you, but any dog can be a service dog. Just read the letter we received from one of our past adopters. It might make you rethink what services a rescue dog can do too.
I adopted a wonderful dog from you a little over 2 years ago. Her name at the time was Bitsy. She is a German shepherd mix, and was about 12 weeks old at the time. It was the picture of her on your website that kept me coming back and finally won me over, and when I met her I was done for.
To let you know, she still has the same eyes and is truly the sweetest dog. Her name is Sophie now. She just wants hugs . . . all the time. She will walk up to whomever... literally, as long as she knows they are okay with Mama...and lean heavily against them.
I have MS and a couple other issues and she is remarkably sensitive to my medical needs. We are training her to be my aide. She has shown an ability to predict when I will "lose my legs" and has broken my fall. She provides me support to stand back up. She will not leave my side when I am ill. I can get up 10 times and she won't budge, but the one time I am feeling woozy and don't even know it myself, she will get up with me and be there when I go down, and alert my husband if I pass out. She amazes me.
Thank you for my wonderful best friend. She is my baby and such a good girl. Sweetest. Dog. Ever.
A special thank you to Ally for sharing her story with us and maybe changing a few minds about rescue dogs becoming service dogs. We wish Ally and Sophie many happy and healthy years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment